Reading Highlights [有聲書]. 2
出版社：AMC Publishing Company
ISBN：978-986-6990-89-2 ; 986-6990-89-3
In learning English, reading is an essential skill for acquiring new vocabulary and reinforcing your grammar; it is doubly important if you have limited opportunities to
learn by listening. Although reading may seem very difficult at first, the task becomeseasier with these simple strategies.
Not everything in a text may be useful to you right away. When you determine what’s important, you identify the main themes of the text and focus on them, without
getting distracted by irrelevant information.
As you read, you work not only with the text, but also everything you already know about the topic. Use prior knowledge about the world, as well as your previous
experiences, to help you make sense of what you’re reading.
Once you understand the text, you can also make inferences, or use the new information and background information to draw conclusions and interpret facts.
It’s also important to ask questions before, during, and after reading, as they help you see the text from several angles and understand it clearly. They are not a sign of
trouble, but a tool for understanding.
Another helpful tool is mental images. In your mind, use all five senses to experience the text and enhance not only your understanding, but also your enjoyment.
One of the first things to do when you read is understand the structure of the text;that’s what you do when you skim, or read very quickly, skipping many words. Once
you have located the most important points, you can use them to answer specific questions later.
As you look at each new paragraph, you should try to find the topic sentence,because it contains the main idea; if it isn’t what you need now, you can save the supporting information for later.
When you see an unfamiliar word, it’s tempting to slow down or even stop reading. However, it’s often possible to learn vocabulary in context, or use other words
in the same sentence or nearby sentences to guess the meaning quickly. This rough understanding is often enough to understand the text.
Finally, you may use your knowledge of the text’s structure, as well as markers such as topic sentences and key words to scan, or quickly find detailed answers to specific questions.
The purpose of many of these skills is to help you read more quickly, and if your goal is speed, you should also time yourself. How much time do you need to understand a
paragraph or a page? Push yourself to read faster, and with practice, your speed will improve.
These ten strategies take some time to learn, but once you’ve mastered them, you will find reading much easier, and maybe even more fun!
- Unit 1 Smart for Art Sufism！Purely About Love(第11頁)
- Unit 2 What’s Hot and What’s Not When You Gaze at Your Phone, Is It Gazing atY ou Too？(第14頁)
- Unit 3 Staying Fit and Healthy Understanding Eating Habits(第17頁)
- Unit 4 Circle of Life Wetlands：Boosting the Ecosystem(第20頁)
- Unit 5 Going Beyond Borders The Eternal Terracotta Warriors(第23頁)
- Unit 6 Why Did They Do That？ Why We Buy Things(第26頁)
- Unit 7 Who’s Who Yayoi Kusama’s Works of Polka-Dotted Perfection(第29頁)
- Unit 8 What’s Hot and What’s Not Korean Drama Takes Over the World(第32頁)
- Unit 9 Going Beyond Borders The Must-See Shinto Shrines of Japan(第35頁)
- Unit 10 What’s Hot and What’s Not New Music Services Present New Challenges for the Music Business(第38頁)
- Unit 11 Who’s Who It’s Stephen King－Horror’s Maine Man！(第41頁)
- Unit 12 Tools of Communication Lessons in Linguistics(第44頁)
- Unit 13 Going Beyond Borders Dancing with the Stars(第47頁)
- Unit 14 Pack Your Bag Travel Smart with Lonely Planet(第50頁)
- Unit 15 Pack Your Bag Iguazu Falls：Soaking Visitors with Awe(第53頁)
- Unit 16 What’s Hot and What’s Not Are eSports Real Sports？(第56頁)
- Unit 17 Improving the World Droning On About Aerial Photography(第59頁)
- Unit 18 Why Did They Do That？ Why People Flirt(第62頁)
- Unit 19 Who’s Who The Many Skills of Benjamin Franklin(第65頁)
- Unit 20 Bon Appetit The Wonderful World of Watermelons(第68頁)
- Unit 21 Tools of Communication Cursing and Foul Language(第71頁)
- Unit 22 Why Did They Do That？ Competing from Your Birth to the Grave(第74頁)
- Unit 23 Why Did They Do That？ Rules of Attraction(第77頁)
- Unit 24 It’s Never Too Late to Learn Fun with Photography(第80頁)
- Unit 25 Who’s Who Who Is Yuzuru Hanyu？(第83頁)
- Unit 26 Circle of Life Europe Isn’t What It Used to Be(第86頁)
- Unit 27 Bon Appetit Crazy for Cocoa(第89頁)
- Unit 28 Game On The Beauty of Gymnastics(第92頁)
- Unit 29 Bon Appetit Nature’s Anti-Aging Remedy(第95頁)
- Unit 30 Why Did They Do That？ The Surprising Secret of Successful Students(第98頁)
- Unit 31 What’s Hot and What’s Not Getting the Perfect Body and Mind with Yoga(第101頁)
- Unit 32 Who’s Who Celebrating the Simple Life with Thoreau(第104頁)
- Unit 33 Going Beyond Borders Guinness World Records：All There in Black and White(第107頁)
- Unit 34 Going Beyond Borders Weddings Around the World(第110頁)
- Unit 35 Why Did They Do That？ Crazy for Celebrities(第113頁)
- Unit 36 What’s Hot and What’s Not Creativity in Crowds(第116頁)
- Unit 37 Pack Your Bag Fun in the San Diego Sun(第119頁)
- Unit 38 Surfing the Net Social Network Safety(第122頁)
- Unit 39 Staying Fit and Healthy Why Processed Foods Are Bad for You(第125頁)
- Unit 40 Pack Your Bag The Wonders of Xiao Liu Qiu(第128頁)
- Unit 41 Smart for Art Creating Art－One Brick at a Time(第131頁)
- Unit 42 The Magic of Discovery Making Sense of Math(第134頁)
- Unit 43 Game On Three Cheers for Cheerleading(第137頁)
- Unit 44 Improving the World Conquering Heights with Elevators(第140頁)
- Unit 45 Why Did They Do That？ What Drives Our Driving Habits(第143頁)
- Unit 46 Circle of Life The World’s Most Bizarre Creature(第146頁)
- Unit 47 Circle of Life Too Much Stuff(第149頁)
- Unit 48 Pack Your Bag Sardinia：Italy’s Island Paradise(第152頁)
- Unit 49 What’s Hot and What’s Not Planning the Perfect Picnic(第155頁)
- Unit 50 It’s Never Too Late to Learn Volunteer and Change the World(第158頁)
- Unit 51 Pack Your Bag Putrajaya’s Modern Nature(第161頁)
- Unit 52 Why Did They Do That？ The Crying Game(第164頁)
- Unit 53 Why Did They Do that？ WHO Includes Gaming Addiction on Its List of Disorders(第167頁)
- Unit 54 Going Beyond Borders A Blooming Good Time(第170頁)
- Unit 55 Going Beyond Borders Tea the Taiwanese Way(第173頁)
- Unit 56 Bringing the Past to Life The Story of Soda(第176頁)
- Unit 57 Going Beyond Borders Haunting Halloween Monsters(第179頁)
- Unit 58 The Magic of Discovery Saving the World with Engineering(第182頁)
- Unit 59 What’s Hot and What’s Not Cloud Computing：The Sky Is the Limit(第185頁)
- Unit 60 Going Beyond Borders The Magic of Onsens(第188頁)
- Unit 61 What’s Hot and What’s Not All That Is Solid Melts into Bits(第191頁)
- Unit 62 Pack Your Bag Take a Walk Around Dadaocheng(第194頁)
- Unit 63 Staying Fit and Healthy The Truth Behind Skin Tone(第197頁)
- Unit 64 Bringing the Past to Life The Mysteries of King Tut(第200頁)
- Unit 65 Staying Fit and Healthy Your Body’s Killing Machines(第203頁)
- Unit 66 Circle of Life The Art of Disappearing(第206頁)
- Unit 67 Staying Fit and Healthy Hiccupping and Evolution(第209頁)
- Unit 68 Going Beyond Borders Fighting for Fun(第212頁)
- Unit 69 Circle of Life Who’s the Boss？(第215頁)
- Unit 70 Circle of Life South Africa’s Natural Wonder(第218頁)
- Unit 71 Game On The Great Game of Golf(第221頁)
- Unit 72 Circle of Life Whale Sharks：Gentle Giants(第224頁)