Reading highlights. 1
作者：editor-in-chief, James Ming
出版社：AMC Publishing Company
In learning English, reading is an essential skill for acquiring new vocabulary and reinforcing your grammar; it is doubly important if you have limited opportunities to learn by listening. Although reading may seem very difficult at first, the task becomes easier with these simple strategies.
Not everything in a text may be useful to you right away. When you determine what’s important, you identify the main themes of the text and focus on them, without getting distracted by irrelevant information.
As you read, you work not only with the text, but also everything you already know about the topic. Use prior knowledge about the world, as well as your previous experiences, to help you make sense of what you’re reading.
Once you understand the text, you can also make inferences, or use the new information and background information to draw conclusions and interpret facts.
It’s also important to ask questions before, during, and after reading, as they help you see the text from several angles and understand it clearly. They are not a sign of trouble, but a tool for understanding.
Another helpful tool is mental images. In your mind, use all five senses to experience the text and enhance not only your understanding, but also your enjoyment.
One of the first things to do when you read is understand the structure of the text; that’s what you do when you skim, or read very quickly, skipping many words. Once you have located the most important points, you can use them to answer specific questions later.
As you look at each new paragraph, you should try to find the topic sentence,because it contains the main idea. If it isn’t what you need now, you can save the supporting information for later.
As you look at each new paragraph, you should try to find the topic sentence, because it contains the main idea; if it isn’t what you need now, you can save the supporting information for later.When you see an unfamiliar word, it’s tempting to slow down or even stop reading. However, it’s often possible to learn vocabulary in context, or use other words in the same sentence or nearby sentences to guess the meaning quickly. This rough understanding is often enough to understand the text.
Finally, you may use your knowledge of the text’s structure, as well as markers such as topic sentences and key words to scan, or quickly find detailed answers to specific questions.
The purpose of many of these skills is to help you read more quickly, and if your goal is speed, you should also time yourself. How much time do you need to understand a paragraph or a page? Push yourself to read faster, and with practice, your speed will improve.
These ten strategies take some time to learn, but once you’ve mastered them, you will find reading much easier, and maybe even more fun!
- Unit1 What’s Hot and What’s Not Uber: The World’s Modern Taxi(第11頁)
- Unit2 Who’s Who Bon Jovi: The Best of the Best(第14頁)
- Unit3 Pack Your Bag Kaohsiung: More Than You Imagined(第17頁)
- Unit4 Improving the World Soaring to New Heights(第20頁)
- Unit5 Smart for Art Nail Art Gets Creative(第23頁)
- Unit6 Pack Your Bag Going Abroad for a Good Cause(第26頁)
- Unit7 Who’s Who Wu Pao-Chun’s Bread Mission(第29頁)
- Unit8 Going Beyond Borders A Zone of Your Own(第32頁)
- Unit9 The Magic of Discovery The Black Box of Cars(第35頁)
- Unit10 Staying Fit and Healthy What Skin Problems Say About You(第38頁)
- Unit11 Smart for Art Op Art: Playing Tricks on the Eye(第41頁)
- Unit12 Improving the World The Board Game You’ll Never Get Bored of(第44頁)
- Unit13 Pack Your Bag The Sky’s the Limit with Amazing Skywalks(第47頁)
- Unit14 Going Beyond Borders Sunshine, Sea, and Music(第50頁)
- Unit15 Going Beyond Borders The Happy Traveler Avoids Taboos(第53頁)
- Unit16 Who’s Who Creating Art with a Bang(第56頁)
- Unit17 Going Beyond Borders The Greatest Olympic Moments(第59頁)
- Unit18 It’s Never Too Late to Learn Farewell to High School(第62頁)
- Unit19 Who’s Who Tim Cook: Apple’s Leader Has a Style of His Own(第65頁)
- Unit20 Why Did They Do That? A Walk in the Night(第68頁)
- Unit21 Going Beyond Borders Panic in the Streets(第71頁)
- Unit22 Smart for Art The Most Famous Meal(第74頁)
- Unit23 Improving the World More Than a Pretty Picture(第77頁)
- Unit24 Staying Fit and Healthy Seeing in Black and White(第80頁)
- Unit25 Pack Your Bag The Eighth Continent(第83頁)
- Unit26 Going Beyond Borders Confused About Kissing(第86頁)
- Unit27 Improving the World Rubik’s Remarkable Cube(第89頁)
- Unit28 Smart for Art Get a Load of Heavy Metal(第92頁)
- Unit29 What’s Hot and What’s Not All About Pants(第95頁)
- Unit30 The Magic of Discovery The Incredible Shrinking Brain(第98頁)
- Unit31 It’s Never Too Late to Learn Trading Places(第101頁)
- Unit32 Why Did They Do That? Aw … Isn’t That Cute!(第104頁)
- Unit33 What’s Hot and What’s Not Hitting the Streets(第107頁)
- Unit34 Going Beyond Borders Christmas Down Under(第110頁)
- Unit35 Bon Appetit The Marvelous Macaroon(第113頁)
- Unit36 Who’s Who The Thrilling Story of the King of Pop(第116頁)
- Unit37 Driving Force Behind the World The Power of Packaging(第119頁)
- Unit38 On the Job Send in the Clowns(第122頁)
- Unit39 It’s Never Too Late to Learn The Truth Behind Testing(第125頁)
- Unit40 Going Beyond Borders A Terrifying Time of Year(第128頁)
- Unit41 Pack Your Bag A Grand Landmark(第131頁)
- Unit42 What’s Hot and What’s Not Getting Discounts with Group Shopping(第134頁)
- Unit43 Smart for Art The First and Funniest Comic Strip(第137頁)
- Unit44 Who Did It? The Mystery of the Bermuda Triangle(第140頁)
- Unit45 It’s Never Too Late to Learn Adding Work to Schoolwork(第143頁)
- Unit46 Going Beyond Borders Going Nuts at Naadam(第146頁)
- Unit47 Bon Appetit From Japan to the World(第149頁)
- Unit48 The Magic of Discovery iCPooch Keeps Dogs from Ever Feeling Lonely(第152頁)
- Unit49 It’s Never Too Late to Learn Lock Up Your Stuff(第155頁)
- Unit50 Driving Force Behind the World Using Smell to Sell(第158頁)
- Unit51 On the Job To Serve and Protect … Your Pet(第161頁)
- Unit52 Who’s Who Van Gogh: A Mix of Genius and Madness(第164頁)
- Unit53 Improving the World Wheel in the Sky(第167頁)
- Unit54 Smart for Art Urban Art at Its Finest(第170頁)
- Unit55 Pack Your Bag Comfortable and Cheap: Bargain Hotels(第173頁)
- Unit56 Going Beyond Borders A Few Tips on Tipping(第176頁)
- Unit57 Bon Appetit Breaking Bread Through the Ages(第179頁)
- Unit58 Who Did It? Aliens Have Landed … or Have They?(第182頁)
- Unit59 Smart for Art New Art for a New World(第185頁)
- Unit60 Who’s Who The King of the Blues(第188頁)
- Unit61 Circle of Life Valuable Vanilla(第191頁)
- Advanced Reading(第194頁)
- Unit62 Going Beyond Borders Raising Money with Comic Relief(第194頁)
- Unit63 Social Challenges IS Continues to Grow(第197頁)
- Unit64 Social Challenges Europe Confronts Syrian Refugee Crisis(第200頁)
- Unit65 Why Did They Do That? Why Men Are Men and Women Are Women(第203頁)
- Unit66 Staying Fit and Healthy The Ups and Downs of Bipolar Disorder(第206頁)
- Unit67 Tools of Communication Keeping Culture Alive(第209頁)
- Unit68 The Magic of Discovery Fat or Fit?(第212頁)
- Unit69 Circle of Life Endangered—The World’s Coral Reefs(第215頁)
- Unit70 Who’s Who From Museum to the Streets(第218頁)
- Unit71 Tools of Communication Cracking Morse Code(第221頁)
- Unit72 taying Fit and Healthy Sickness That’s Skin Deep(第224頁)